- According to research by the bookstore chain Barnes and Noble,
romance customers can typically spend up to
$100 per month
for books and will read as many as 40 books per month.
- More than 90 percent
of all mass market book sales are popular fiction.
- Romance accounts for 48.6 percent
of the mass market (paperback) book sales in the United States,
with sales topping $885 million in 1992.
- Authors rarely get rich writing books -- they receive only a small percentage
of the cover price of a book -- usually
4 to 6 percent percent,
according to Texas author LaRee Bryant.
- The average romance reader is
39 years old and works
outside the home. (Forbes Magazine)
- The average annual household income for a romance reader is
- 45 percent of romance
readers are college educated.
- Women who read romance novels make love with their partners
74 percent more
often than women who don't. (Psychology Today)